- "[Spouse] and I have been thinking about having a baby..."
- — Mii, Tomodachi Life
Having a Baby
Some time after a couple is married, one of the Miis will tell the player that they are thinking about having a baby, assuming that the Baby Option is enabled. Usually, these requests are given within eight days after their last child has left.
When the baby arrives and the player is overlooking the island, one of the parents will call the player and prompt them to their house. There, a music box melody plays as the two Miis await happily. The female Mii will be witnessed holding the newborn baby, wrapped in a blanket and wearing a bonnet, but with its back turned. After the wife tells the player they had a baby, they will be prompted to customize the baby:
- Are you hoping we had a boy or a girl? - The player can pick a gender - a boy or girl - or have the game decide one at random. Upon answering, the baby's face is revealed, which is an obvious mix of the two parents' facial features. The baby utters a coo in return.
- How does he/she look? - The player can pick to keep the generated appearance, or edit the baby Mii's face. Editing the generated result is the only way a baby Mii's face can be modified until the baby becomes fully-grown.
- We like the name ____, what do you think? - The player can have the parents use their own randomly chosen name, have them think of another randomly chosen name, or the player can name the baby themselves. As with editing the face and personality, this cannot be changed again until the baby is grown up. The parents can think of 20 random names to name their baby. In the Japanese version, the name the parents initially suggest is a combination of the first and last parts of their first names.
- What kind of personality do you think [he/she]'ll have? - The player can make the baby share the personality of one of its parents, have it picked randomly, or define the personality themselves. The result, in combination with its gender, will determine the color scheme of the baby's clothes. Once picked, it cannot be edited again until the baby is fully grown.
There is no limit as to how many babies can be born within a day to the island, but only one baby can be taken care of by a single family at a time. There is no restriction regarding how many babies can be born into a certain family, so a married couple may have more children than there are apartments open.
Having babies is optional, but it is required in order to unlock certain features, such as child photos in the Photo Studio, and two of the rankings at the Rankings Board. However, babies won't be listed in the Town Hall's Mii List until possibly becoming an islander at their child stage, which rests at approximately 4-5 days old.
Raising the Baby
After all the questions are asked, the mother will promise the player to take good care of their child. The player is taken back to the island. Inside a couple's house, the player can see the parents playing with their baby or taking care of it.
Typically the parents will have to take care of their child for about 5 days. On the sixth day their child will be fully grown up. Encountering a new stage usually means encountering new and different events. The only interactions that stay the same throughout all stages are the eating and sleeping scenes.
When visiting the married couple's house when they have a child, there is a "Babysitting" option next to "Visit". This activates a mini-game of sorts where the player either has to calm the baby down or play with them, depending on the age of the child.
If the player has lost track of how old the child is, the following is a general guideline:
- Day 1: The child is born and only resides in its rocking bed.
- Day 2: The child learns to crawl.
- Day 3: The child starts standing up for a few seconds each time, while its hair begins to develop further.
- Day 4: The child consistently starts walking, though quite slowly.
- Day 5: The child runs around efficiently and without problems, its hair develops further, and the head takes on its final shape.
- Day 6: The child grows up and leaves its parents.
Stages 1 to 3
At stages 1-3 (when the child is 1-3 days old), sometimes the player will randomly be called to assist the new parents who can't seem to calm the baby down. If the player accepts, a mini-game will initiate; at stage 1, the player has to rock the baby at a certain speed. At stages 2-3, he/she can pat or tickle the baby's head or body, or play peekaboo with it, depending on what it wants. If the player refuses, he/she returns to the main menu and the same parents will call the player again. Some times if the player repeatedly refuses after multiple calls by the parents, he/she will lose an option to decline and will be forced to take care of the baby.
If the player tries and succeeds in calming the baby down, he/she will get a prize. If the player gives up, the parents will result a failure and still give a prize for helping and them will attempt to cheer up the baby. If the player is too hard with the baby, the parents will get angry and no prize will be won. The player can only get a prize if he/she calls for help.
If a baby needs help calming down but the parents are asleep for the night, the parents won't call the player. Instead, he/she will hear crying sounds when overlooking the island. To calm the baby down, the player must go to the house of that crying baby, take care of it, and once it is happy enough, exit the game and the family goes back to sleep.
Stages 4 to 5
At stages 4 (toddler) and 5 (young child), the player will no longer be asked to help take care of the child. Instead, there is a new mini-game where he/she can play with the child. Here, the child can be spun in a circle by using the stylus to make circular motions on the touch screen. After no activity for a while from the player, the child will grunt while denoting an angry face. Additionally, when the player spins the child for long enough, the father (or if he is absent, the mother) will comment on how the child will get dizzy if he/she keeps doing so.
Over the course of five days, the baby will grow from a newborn, to an infant, to a toddler, and then to a small child. When the child turns six days old, it will be a fully-grown child. Upon getting a call from one of the parents, the player will be taken to the couple's house, where the parents and fully-grown child are waiting happily. The father announces that their child has grown up, and asks if it should travel or move into the apartments.
Upon choosing, the player will have an option to make changes to the child's appearance and profile, and to give it a message to spread if the Mii is going to be a traveler. After this, the child will speak its first words audible by the player, depending on which option chosen. The child's voice will be a randomized hybrid of its parents voices, which can be changed if the player doesn't like it.This is the only time the player can decide if the child stays or leaves, and the decision cannot be changed afterwards. If a child travels the world, they will only return for a short visit, and will never live on the island again. A child that stays on the island can be edited at any time, with the exception of his/her gender and age if in a relationship. If not enough room is present at the port or the apartments, the baby will be a stage 5 child forever.
At the end of the child's time growing up, the player will be rewarded with viewing Family album and the end credits. These can be reviewed in the Town Hall after the child has grown up. A maximum of 50 albums can be held. Any album that the player wants to keep can be locked and kept forever.
- At the start of the game, the player will be shown their Mii holding a baby, with a random Mii next to them, showing what may happen in the future. As the baby turns its head around, the screen fades to white.
- If the player tends to a 2-3 day old baby while it is extremely happy (or he/she sees the parent[s] playing peekaboo with the baby at 3-4 days old), the baby will laugh so hard that they will fall to the side before righting themselves back into a sitting position.
- If a newborn baby is left bald/with little hair, and the player chooses to keep its appearance, the baby will grow hair over the course of its childhood; the hair-style will be randomly chosen from all. If the player changes it in the Mii Maker by selecting "Hmm...", the baby will remain in that hair-style until it is fully-grown.
- In addition, during the time when the baby's face is revealed, it will always have blonde/yellow eyebrows even if both parents do not have blonde/yellow eyebrows. If the player keeps that baby's appearance, then its eyebrows will remain blonde/yellow until Stage 5.
- If the player changes a grown child's appearance, their past self in the family album will not reflect the new change. If the player edits a Mii after it has grown up, even if that child is (or was) under the effects of Age-o-matic, its past self in the report or album will look the same as it does currently.
- The camera zooms in on the baby after their face is revealed. If the player chooses to keep its appearance, the camera stays zoomed in until the personality question. If the player chooses to edit the baby's face, the camera zooms out to show the parents the rest of the way through.
- Sometimes when a stage 3 or 4 child is crying, their crying is lower pitched.
- Strangely, a stage 4 child can still be seen crying but if the player decides to babysit, the child will not cry.
- When a child reaches stage 5, it can talk like its parents, albeit with a high-pitched variation of the Mii's Bebebese talking sound.
- If the baby is crying while the parents are playing peek-a-boo, all Miis present will be doing so instead of just the left Mii.
- Additionally, when the Miis in the house are trying to cheer the baby up with peekaboo, between the surprised (eyes wide open) faces, the Miis make sad faces.
- If either one of the parents is sad or sick (either from a cold or stomach virus) on the day the child is born or has grown up, then the parents won't call the player until he/she helps out the parent first.
- The same happens if either of the parents are in a fight with another Mii, and especially moments after that fight fails.
- However, when a child is crying, it is possible to call the player.
- After a couple announces that they want to have a baby and the player accepts, they will spend most of their time together.
- Stage 5 children do not make any sounds when the player overlooks them, except in the Stage 4-5 mini-game and the home movie at the end of a family album.
- On Day 6 of the baby's life when the island population reaches 100, and if the player chooses to send that child as a permanent resident, the parents will request one to delete a Mii. The player can delete a Mii right away before a phone call from both parents, if he/she wants.
- If a baby at any age is either playing with their parents, or crying, their voice can also be heard through the map screen.
- If the player quickly goes to the Photo Studio on the day it becomes full grown, pictures of the full grown child can be taken.
- It is possible for the child to have the same hair-style as its parents.
- In the Japanese version, If the Player decides to let the full grown child stay on the Island; the famliy will be standing in the father's apartment. This was changed in the western versions, where the famliy would still be standing in their home together.