Confession is a love-related problem in Tomodachi Collection and Tomodachi Life. If a Mii develops feelings for another Mii of the opposite gender, they can confess their love. If all goes well, they will become sweethearts (Special Someone in Europe).
- 1 Deciding to Confess
- 2 Trying Again
- 3 Love Triangles
- 4 Other Ways
- 5 Setting Relationships Up
- 6 Trivia
- 7 List of Usable Methods in Tomodachi Life
- 8 Gallery
Deciding to Confess
The Mii will act like they are nervous, with either gray clouds saying moyamoya (モヤモヤ) (JP) or hearts with a question mark inside of them (US/EU) floating around their head. Upon touching their thought bubble, the Mii will say they are in love with another Mii and want to confess their feelings.
If the player tells the Mii not to confess, the Mii will look shocked and ask why they shouldn't. Any option the player chooses results in instant sadness. Once cheered up, there is a chance that the Mii will confess again in the future, even if they were told that their target is "already taken".
However, if the player agrees, the Mii will ask for some advice. First, they will ask how they should confess. The player may tell the Mii to:
- Be traditional
- Be romantic
- Be arrogant (Collection)
- Be desperate
- Be showy (Life)
- Be cute (Life)
- Use a line
- The player may type in a phrase for the Mii to say.
- Sing a song
- Give a present
- The player will give the Mii a present for their crush. The Mii can only give food, treasures, and special food.
Next, the Mii will ask where to confess. The options are:
- Rooftop (or the tower in Life [US/EU])
- Classroom (or the school in Life)
- Concert hall (Life)
- Cafe (Life)
Finally, the Mii will ask if they should change clothes. Once preparations are out of the way, the Mii will wait at the chosen location, as a slow heartbeat plays in the background.
The Mii's crush may show up, and the Mii will perform the chosen action. After the Mii confesses to the other Mii, the other Mii can either nod, say "Sure!", and become sweethearts, or reject the confessor by saying "I'm sorry..." in an echoing voice. If the Mii is rejected, they will gain an immense amount of sadness and the relationship between both the confessor and the target will decrease by up to 3 levels. If the target Mii has does not have a good enough relationship with the confessor, the target will not show up to the meeting place. If this happens, the confessor will behave in the same way as if they were rejected.
In Life, a Mii may want to try again, even after being rejected. In this scenario, the location will always be the beach and they will always give a present. Like a normal confession, the target Mii will accept or reject the confessor. However, when rejecting the confessor, the confessed Mii says "Sorry, but I'm just not interested..." in the same echoing voice.
If the Mii's crush shows up but still refuses to accept their love, the on-screen text will say "That turned out horribly". The Mii will say "I'm finally able to let go" and the Mii's sadness will deplete completely. If the crush still doesn't show up, one of their friends will tell the confessor that the target is not interested in going out (usually a friend of both the confessor and the target Mii). Alternatively, if the target is already in love, the target's sweetheart explains that they're going out now, the captions say "Things couldn't have gone worse...", and the Mii gains even more sadness. Upon tapping their thought bubble, they will say "I guess it's time to move on with my life..."
In Life, a Mii can also say they have feelings for more than one Mii or ask if another Mii likes them. The player has to help the Mii decide who to confess to; the confession scene will play out as usual. The player can also choose to "Think on it more." The latter won't cause the Mii to become sad.
In Life, the target may have strong bonds with multiple friends of the opposite gender, which may lead to one or two of those Miis interrupting a confession. They will try to steal the target from the confessor, popping out of the background in hilarious ways (such as from the ocean, the locker, and the table near the confession).
The target has to choose between two or three of their friends, depending on how many Miis showed up. When they make their decision, they may turn toward one Mii and say how glad they are that they feel the same, while the other rejected Miis hang their heads, sometimes fainting. If the target Mii chooses the first confessor, they automatically go into a relationship as normal.
However, there is also a chance that the Mii can reject them all, leaving all the Miis to either hang their heads or faint. Only the first confessor gains sadness if they were rejected. Rival Miis don't gain sadness when rejected.
If the target chooses one of the rival Miis, the player has to decide if the two should establish a relationship. The rejected Mii walks away in the background; if there are multiple rejected Miis, they all walk away. If the player agrees, they will look at each other lovingly and become sweethearts; if the player disagrees, their faces will change from happy expressions to shocked ones, and the relationship is not established.
These ways of confession are only available in Tomodachi Life.
The Mii can ask if a certain Mii likes them, either a best friend or normal friend. Unlike the love confession, they will neither be seen worried when entering their apartment, nor does the music play; instead, the regular problem music plays. When tapping their thought bubble, the Mii says "I think [Mii] likes me. What do you think?" The player can reply with any option.
If the player chooses "Go for it!", the Mii will automatically confess to the chosen Mii. The location will be chosen randomly and the Mii will always be showy. Like a normal confession, the target Mii will accept or reject the confessor, retaining the same consequences as a normal confession. However, no other Miis will interrupt the confession. If the Mii got rejected, the will say "It's not like I even liked him/her that much anyway..." following "Things didn't go so well..." text, and the Mii will gain sadness.
Sometimes, if the player chooses "Go for it!", the Mii will say "I don't feel the same way, so whatever!", and the relationship decreases by one level. This outcome only happens when the Miis have a "Getting along OK" relationship or lower with each other.
(As for the other three options, if the player says "I think so too!" then the relationship upgrades one level, if the player chooses "It won't work", then the relationship decreases one level, if the player says "In your dreams", then nothing happens. No confession happens for any of these options.)
Confession to Two Miis
A Mii will say that they have feelings for two different Miis, and the player will pick which Mii they should confess to, or tell them to "Think on it more", since there is no option to confess to neither; the "Think on it more" option does not cause sadness.
It is possible for a Mii to confess their love to a Mii who is already dating. This type of event is almost the same as a normal confession, but with a few differences.
As the name suggests, this type of love confession will usually fail if the dating Mii's relationship with their sweetheart is good enough. If confessed Mii's relationship with their sweetheart is low ("Kinda getting along" or lower), then the target Mii may say "Sure" to the Mii who is confessing, ditching their sweetheart without any breakup events.
If a Mii confesses their love to someone in a relationship, another person interrupts their confession, and the target crush chooses the interrupting Mii; but if the player says that they can't date, then the target crush will stay with their original sweetheart. This outcome is very rare and it only happens if the target Mii's relationship with the first confessor is lower than the interrupting Mii.
Setting Relationships Up
In Tomodachi Life, a Mii who is friends with a single male Mii and at least one single female Mii might set up a relationship between the two. Unlike the love confession, they will have an orange friendship icon on their apartment window instead of the pink love icon. The Mii will say "I think [male Mii] needs a sweetheart... How about setting him up with [female Mii]?" The player can say yes, no, or have the Mii choose a different partner to set up with. The list of possible female Miis only consist of Miis with whom the Mii initiating the set-up is friends. You are also not allowed choose a Mii who is already dating or married, or a Mii who is outside of the age group of the male Mii.
Once the player has said yes or selected a different partner, a number of cut-scenes will ensue. The first scene is at the train station where the two Miis happily chat together or look around while waiting for a train. The other friend watches the two Miis through a newspaper with a hole in it.
The second scene is at the amusement park. The two Miis will be together riding the merry-go-round, sometimes talking, with the other friend watching them in a bear suit and trying to give out balloons to cover up their spying. They will turn to look at them when the other two Miis are across the merry-go-round from them and continue to wave at others when they can see them.
The third scene is at the café. The two Miis will talk to each other or stare out the window and drink coffee while the other friend peeks through the window.
The final scene is at the fountain, where the outcome of their relationship is decided. The Miis will be walking together on the way home, the friend Mii watching them from the fountain. They stop at the fountain and say their final words before parting.
If the setup worked, the first Mii will perform the Outgoing happy action and say how much fun they had, prompting the other to suggest hanging out again. The friend Mii will wink at the player and the two Miis will automatically become sweethearts without a love confession.
You can tell if a set up is successful if the female Mii is doing the Easygoing happy action (swinging her arms). If it is unsuccessful then she will just be walking neutrally with her face angled away from the male Mii.
If the setup failed, the two will just think of the experience as a normal day out, as the two Miis will walk away while the friend Mii will look on sadly. The two Miis remain friends or acquaintances with each other if they have not done so.
Failed Set-Up Results
The set-up can fail with two captions:
- "They're just going to be friends for now."
- "They didn't hit it off so great..."
If the Mii says the first caption once the set-up failed, the two Miis that were part of the set-up will automatically become friends, without any orange problems. If they are already friends, it will get boosted by 1 level.
If the Mii says the second caption once the set-up failed, one of the Miis will ask why would the friend set him or her up with the other Mii. If the first option is chosen, the Mii may boost their friendship level with that other Mii; if they are acquaintances, whichever option the player chooses will not be added in the Mii's relationship list.
The player can know if the setup will work or fail by a few signs, such as the Miis talking to each other often instead of staring out into the distance or if the Miis look very happy at the fountain.
- The "Like" problem is the only love problem where the music doesn't change upon entering the Mii's apartment.
- There is an error in the girl-to-boy confession at the tower. The girl says "Oh, won't you be my boo?" When really, a boyfriend is called "beau". A girlfriend is called "boo".
- In the set-up cut-scenes, the male Mii will act Outgoing while the female Mii will act Easygoing regardless of their actual personalities.
- There is a rare moment in the set-up cutscenes; the Miis talk to each other in all three scenes as if the set-up will work, but at the fountain, they walk normally as it failed.
- The player can tell if the confession is going to be accepted or rejected. If the Mii being confessed to has a low status ("Getting Along OK" or lower) with the confessor, there's a chance the confessor will be rejected, or that the target will not show up.
- There is also a way to tell if a second confession will go well or not. If the camera appears to be more zoomed in, then the Mii will turn around and give a shocked look, finding either a mutual friend, the best friend, or their current sweetheart.
- The messages for their crush to "be cute" are the same for both males and females.
- There is a much higher chance of rejection if the Mii isn't being traditional.
- Best friends are treated as normal friends (if the best friends are opposite gender) during confessions, as a Mii will have feelings for their best friend if the status is at least "Great pal" or higher.
- If the player tells the confessor to "Be showy" or "Be cute" and an interruption takes place, the confessor will still be in the given pose.
- In the Japanese version, it's possible for a single Mii to try and confess to a married Mii. In the North American and European versions, married Miis will not be asked out by anyone else.
- If a Mii wants to confess and you change the Mii’s age, they won’t have feelings for their crush any more.
- This also applies to a Mii with a set up problem when the player changes the age of the said Mii.
- There may be a chance that the Mii will reject the confessor, and when the confessor chooses to try again, they may say "sure"; this outcome is very rare.
- If the player tells the Mii to "Give a present" and no Miis interrupt, the camera angles are different.
- Sometimes the Miis will faint if they were rejected and the location was set to the beach or the park.
- In Tomodachi Collection, if the confessor is wearing a school outfit; the Mii who they're going to confess to will show up in one too.
- In the Japanese and Korean versions, it's possible for an adult and a child to confess to each other, or a friend to try to set them up on a date. This was removed in Western versions to avoid controversy.
- If the confession takes place at the park and the target Mii accepts, the confessor won't do their signature pose; instead, the game will show a big tree.
- In the Japanese version, when choosing "Be cute", they spell out the word Love. This was changed internationally.
List of Usable Methods in Tomodachi Life
See the dialogue page for all the possible confessions a Mii can say.
|Be traditional||The Mii will confess traditionally, by saying something like "I love you".||Nods their head|
|Be romantic||The Mii will act romantic in their confession.||Gets down on one knee and spreads arm outward|
|Be showy||The Mii will boast in their confession.||Has a thinking pose while looking aside, then faces forward while folding arms|
|Be cute*||The Mii will act cute in their confession.||Spreads arms with a happy face, then folds hands behind back while tilting head and winking|
|Act desperate||The Mii will beg for the target Mii to accept their confession.||Gets down on all fours|
|Use a line*||The player gives the confessor a line to use.||Nods their head|
|Sing a song*||The Mii sings a short romantic tune.||Nods their head/spreads out arms (only at the café)|
|Give a present*||The player gives the confessor a food or treasure from their inventory.||Nods their head, then presents food/treasure|
* Exclusive to Tomodachi Life, not available in Tomodachi Collection