In their apartment, a Mii's hunger status will be displayed on the top screen. Each food item has a hunger value, and a Mii will not accept food that would fill his/her stomach above maximum capacity. Likewise, a Mii will not eat the same food item twice in a row.
Miis will often request food as one of their everyday problems. A Mii's stomach will drop over time as the game is played in Collection. Starting in Life, it can also drop when the game is shut off. Miis do not need to be fed to survive and can go on indefinitely without food. The purpose of food is to gain levels. Additionally, feeding food will calm them down when he/she feels angry or sad. Expensive foods will give more happiness than the average food item.
In Life, Miis may request specific types of meals as a problem. Miis may ask for a drink, specific food, food from a specific country/region, (e.g. Italian, Asian) or salty/meaty/sweet food. However, no matter what kind of food the Mii asks for, it won't determine how the Mii feels about the food given to him or her.
No matter how much a Mii dislikes a food, (s)he will always eat what the player feeds them. However, if (s)he is sick with a stomach bug, they will refuse to eat.
Much like real life, Miis have different randomized preferences for what foods they like. In Collection Miis will have an All-Time Favorite food and a Worst food. In Life there is an additional Super All-Time Favorite food and Worst Ever food added to each Mii. The favorites will instantly cheer a Mii up from sadness or calm them from a fight.
In addition to those extremes, a list of three "Favorite Foods" is displayed, consisting of the top three foods that Mii likes most out of everything else he/she has tried. All food preferences are fixed, even among different players sharing a Mii through QR Codes, but the favorite foods list will change as the Mii tries new things and discovers better favorite ones.
When a Mii is given a food item that is not one of the favorites/worst foods, the Mii will either:
- Jump up into the air fist-first, showing a very high amount of satisfaction. Happiness increases significantly. ([He/she] loved it!)
- Happily pat their belly with one hand, showing they really liked the food. Happiness increases. ([He/she] really liked it.)
- Pat their belly slowly with both hands while leaning back, showing they liked the food. Happiness increases slightly. ([He/she] liked it.)
- Frown and tilt their head, showing that they did not like the food. Happiness stays the same. This food may not appear in "Favorite Foods". ([He/she] didn't really like it.)
- Hold their stomachs in disgust (trying not to throw it up), showing they disliked the food. Happiness decreases. This food will not appear in "Favorite Foods". ([He/she] didn't like it at all.)
When a Mii is given a food item that is one of his/her favorite foods, the Mii will either:
- Dance around in place with dramatic camera angles, showing that it's their all time favorite.
- Makes a surprised face and blasts off into space, showing that it's their super all-time favorite. During the view of Earth, the Mii will also shout a prolonged, "Yum!!!" This is not present in Tomodachi Collection.
When a Mii is given a food item that is one of his/her worst foods, the Mii will either:
- Shakes rapidly, then bends over as if in pain and start acting like he/she is throwing up, showing that it's the worst. Happiness decreases significantly.
- Turn gray and melt to the floor with a very shocked face when suspenseful music plays, showing that it's his/her absolute worst ever. Any and all traces of happiness will be lost. This is not present in Tomodachi Collection.
Special food will always result in a very positive gesture from the Mii, which shows it happier than the jumping gesture. It also says something related to the food he/she consumed.
Types of Foods (Tomodachi Series)
Food is separated into 4 categories: Main Dish, Side Dish, Sweets, and Drinks. Each have an effect on how the Mii reacts to the food, the probability of them liking it, and how much it fills their stomach. Throughout the various regional varieties, there are various foods not present in other versions, such as various Japanese dishes in the Japanese version of the game.
Main Article: List of Main Foods in Tomodachi Collection
Main Article: List of Main Foods in Tomodachi Life
Main dishes are foods that will fill up somebody's hunger the most, they are also often the most expensive. There are 43 total main dish items. The Japanese version has 63 in total.
The Japanese version has this section as the Japanese dishes, the Side is Western.
Main Article: List of Side Foods in Tomodachi Collection
Main Article: List of Side Foods in Tomodachi Life
Side dishes are the second food category. They fill a Mii's hunger less than the Main Dishes. There are 83 total Side Dishes in the US version and 80 in the EU version.
The Japanese version has this section as Western, or anything not Japanese. There are also 83 available.
Main Article: List of Desserts in Tomodachi Collection
Main Article: List of Desserts in Tomodachi Life
'Sweets' is not a completely accurate term, as this category is where all the other food items that don't classify as a main dish, side dish, or drink would go. This includes fruits, dessert items, and anything else. There are 81 items in this category.
The Japanese version has 66 items in this category. Items unavailable are marked with an X.
Main Article: List of Beverages in Tomodachi Collection
Main Article: List of Beverages in Tomodachi Life
Beverages fill up a Mii's hunger less than all of the other categories. There are 24 total Drink items.
The Japanese version has only 14 items. Ones unavailable in JP are marked with an X.
- Players could easily tell if a Mii is hungry without clicking on the problem bubble due to a slight change in the background music.
- If a Mii requests for a specific type of food, his/her reaction will always be "[He/She] loved it!" But other times, the Mii's reaction will stay the same for the rest of their interaction, drop to "[He/She] really liked it." or lower/worse.
|Tomodachi Life Items|
|Clothing (Masculine • Feminine • Unisex • Business and Uniforms • Costumes) • Hats • Food (Trash Food) • Interiors • Gifts/Goods • Level-Up Gifts • Treasures/Special Foods|