A Mii is a personal digital avatar that a player can create for themselves for use in Nintendo games. Miis were introduced for the Wii alongside the system's launch late in 2006, and have since continuously appeared for use on certain Nintendo DS games, the Nintendo 3DS, Wii U, Nintendo Switch, and their respective game libraries.
Miis are the inhabitants of the island in Tomodachi Collection and Tomodachi Life and the main protagonists of Miitopia. The islanders can be edited in Mii Maker as many times as desired. This can be done at the Town Hall or from within each individual Mii's apartment. If the Mii was created by another player, they can only be edited if the creator of that Mii allowed copying. If not, only the Mii's voice, personality, and parts of their profile can be edited.
They are mainly introduced when you create a new island.
- 1 Behavior
- 2 Mechanics
- 3 Love
- 4 Levels
- 5 Sadness
- 6 Interactions
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Gallery
- 8.1 Tomodachi Collection
- 8.2 Tomodachi Collection Official Artwork
- 8.3 Tomodachi Collection Screenshots
- 8.4 Tomodachi Life
- 8.5 Tomodachi Life Official Artwork
- 8.6 Tomodachi Life Screenshots
- 8.7 Miitomo
- 8.8 Miitomo Official Artwork
- 8.9 Miitomo Screenshots
- 8.10 Miitopia
- 8.11 Miitopia Official Artwork
- 8.12 Miitopia Screenshots
A Mii's personality is set during the creation process. This will determine what their default interiors look like, what interactions they respond well to, and many other things.
Miis can have part-time jobs, where they can be seen working at one of the island's shops. They are not locked into one part-time job as they will work at a randomly selected job every time they decide to work. Their jobs do not affect gameplay at all.
Additionally, they may occasionally use any level-up gifts the player has given to them. Certain level-up gifts can be shared with anyone visiting their room. Besides toying with their gifts, they can exercise or occasionally nap (with a chance of getting a dream).
For more details, see the behavior page.
Sometimes a symbol will appear on a Mii's apartment window in Mii Apartments, which indicates that the Mii has a problem. All symbols are also accompanied with a thought bubble of an object related. The black object is a scribble, orange is a happy face, green is a person with three lines around them, pink is a heart, and blue is a rain cloud.
- A black symbol means they have a question they would like to ask, they are hungry, they want new clothes/hats, etc. In Collection, a black symbol may also mean that a Mii wants to befriend someone.
- An orange symbol indicates something for friendship, whether it's to travel with their best friend/sweetheart/spouse, become friends with another Mii, ask the player about a relationship with another Mii, break up with their sweetheart/spouse, or if the Miis had a fight.
- A pink symbol with a heart indicates love. This means a Mii wants to confess their love to another Mii, wants to get married, or wants to have a baby.
- A blue symbol with a rain cloud indicates sadness. The Mii is heartbroken if their friend refuses to apologize after a fight, they confess their love but the other Mii refuses to be their sweetheart, or if two dating or married Miis have ended their relationship.
- A green symbol means the Mii would like to play a game with the player, which the player can accept or decline.
Different music from the regular apartment theme will also play when the player goes into an apartment with a certain symbol. The green symbol is unique in that it only has the normal apartment theme, before switching to the theme of the mini-game they want to play.
Occasionally a Mii may be at the fountain, beach, observation tower, park, amusement park, or café. A symbol on the overworld map will indicate if a Mii is currently there (being a talk bubble with a person). However, the Mii cannot be interacted with unless it is a certain event or if they are at their apartment. In Tomodachi Life there are two options, locate (take the player to Mii's location) and call (call a Mii to their apartment). If a Mii is at a house, there will also be an extra icon on the Mii's apartment along with the darken room (a talk bubble with a house inside it). Clicking a house with someone inside it will bring up the couples "rooms" despite being their apartment anyways.
A Mii may develop feelings for a friend of the opposite gender. The Mii would like to confess their love to his/her crush, and if all goes well they will become sweethearts. Players can help the confession go smoothly by choosing the location, deciding what the Mii should do, and deciding what the Mii should wear.
If the sweethearts are happy together then they will announce their marriage to the player in Collection. However, in Life one of them may want to propose instead. The player will have to play a mini-game to assist the Mii in properly confessing to their sweetheart.
Once they are married they will get a house built for them in Mii Homes and the Miis can choose to hang out in their individual apartments or their new home. In Life, they may eventually have a baby (if the player allows it). When that child grows up they may become another islander to live in the apartments or they will become a traveler to visit other player's islands.
If a Mii isn't getting along with his/her lover, as long as their relationship is written as "Getting along OK" or lower, then they may breakup. The Mii will ask the player if they should move on or work it out. If the player chooses the former then they will have a cutscene showing the break up. If the player chooses to work it out then there is a chance the Mii couple can continue their relationship; but if the two fail to reconcile, then they will break up. If the Miis were married then their house in Mii Homes will be demolished.
- Main article: Levels
When the player takes care of a Mii, they will gain a bit of happiness which is shown in a orange bar at the top screen in their apartment. With enough happiness a Mii can level up.
Ways to gain happiness:
- Food: A Mii's happiness may increase depending on their preferences to food. Food that they like will increase it by a large amount, while food they dislike will decrease it.
- Favors: Miis will ask for various favors (For example, Mii ask for something spicy, give them a pepper or Mii ask something sweet, give them a cupcake). They may ask for something to wear, eat, take a bath, ask the player to look inside their mind/belly, change the interior, show off a funny face, do their impression of another Mii, or just random questions.
- Solve problems: Miis need help with different things, including finding an item that they lost, or to give medicine when they are sick.
- Gifts: Miis can be given an item through the menu and they may or may not like the item. A reward will be received depending on the current mood of the Mii.
- Main article: Sadness
When a Mii is sad, the level bar changes from orange to blue and the score changes in length. The level remains the same when it goes back to orange. To return the score to normal, the following can be done:
- Feed them food, especially their favourite food. It is an instant cure if the Mii eats their all time favorite or super all time favorite food.
- Give them new clothes, hats, or interiors.
- Give them goods. It is an instant cure if the Mii is given a travel ticket.
- Have another Mii make friends or sweetheart with the sad Mii. Ending in success will vanish all sadness.
- Ignoring the sad Mii for 2-3 days diminishes all sadness. (or rare if it's 1 day only.)
- Go into the Town Hall and delete the Mii who rejected the sad Mii.
- If they had a fight which the Miis are still listed as friends in the friendship tabs, if the Mii apologizes and doesn't get an apology back, they will become sad, but if the other Mii apologizes later on, the sadness bar with drain completely. (Ignoring the Mii that hasn't apologized yet will result in the two not being friends anymore.)
- If they were rejected when making a confession, the Mii will sometimes try again. It will completely drain the sadness even if they are rejected a second time; otherwise, they'll gain more sadness.
There are several different interactions the player can make with their Miis, including but not limited to, picking food and tags off the Mii, and making them do certain actions.
- Tapping a Mii's head with a stylus may:
- Show the Mii blinking over and over again.
- Make them blush and say, "Don't stare! It makes me nervous!"
- Have them work on their funny faces.
- Reveal an X-ray on their brain, showing what the Mii is thinking about.
- Reveal some rice on their face, and in Life there may also be other bits of food, bugs, tags, leaves, crabs, etc. The player will be asked to take off whatever is on them.
- Tapping a Mii's stomach will show what they ate last.
- Sliding the stylus across the width of the Mii will abruptly swivel them around. They will turn back to face the player after a couple of seconds. In Life, doing this repeatedly will cause them to spin so fast that they will disorientate and almost fall over.
- Sliding down from a Mii's stomach will make them sit down. Swiveling them while they are sitting and then waiting for a few seconds will cause them to shuffle back to face the player using their feet.
- While a Mii is sitting down, sliding down on their shoulder will make them lay down on their back for a few seconds. While a Mii is lying on their back, sliding horizontally on the Mii will force them to roll over.
- When a Mii is sitting down and they have a problem, they will immediately get up. When they have something to say instead, they will remain sitting.
- Also while a Mii is lying, spinning the stylus slowly around them will turn them around.
- The player can rub a Mii's head to increase their happiness and gain money. They will jump happily with the caption "It looks like he/she really liked that!"
- In Life, the player can tap on a Mii's back, which gives them a close-up. Rubbing the Mii's back very quickly gives them a shocked reaction, who sometimes may turn their head to stare at the player.
- The player can pick up the Mii by sliding upwards from their head and move them a bit around the room. The Mii will move back to their original position a few seconds after they are let go.
- The player can make the Mii look down by sliding downwards from their head.
- The player can slide up from a Mii's stomach to make them happily jump up.
Not only that, but when the player enters a Mii's apartment, the Mii may have something to say to them. For more information see the transcript page.
- The official Nintendo website hosts a personality quiz.
- The word "Mii" is often thought to be a portmanteau of "Wii" and "me".
- When Miis are raising a baby, both of them are unable to be deleted.
- Miis normally refer to the player as "[Player]'s look-alike", with the first islander said to be the player’s official Mii. However, if the first islander is the one the player is speaking to, they will refer to the player as "My look-alike".
- While the Miis speak perfect English (most of the time), there are various sound effects in the game they can still use:
- Whenever the Miis talk to other Miis in certain cutscenes at the apartments, when overlooking the apartments or homes or other locations, the player can hear a slide-whistle esque "whoop" sound.
- Whenever the Miis laugh, the player can hear a flapping noise.
- If the Miis yawn, an upward sliding noise plays.
- If Miis giggle at the apartments, a rattling sound can be heard.
- When a Mii sneezes, a chipping sound can be heard.
- The player can gain happiness and money by rubbing their head once a day. Trying to do it again in the same day won't work.
- If you do it again in the same day, the Mii will simply jump up.
- The skin tone of the player's on-screen hand changes with their official Mii's skin tone.
- Short Miis will use stools when they cook, brush their teeth, play a game with the player, be one of the instrumentalists on a techno song, etc.
- Additionally, they will use yellow cushions when sitting at chairs.
Tomodachi Collection Official Artwork
Tomodachi Collection Screenshots
Tomodachi Life Official Artwork
Tomodachi Life Screenshots
Miitomo Official Artwork
Miitopia Official Artwork