- "Miis can also have different personalities. Some will get along better than others..."
- — Tutorial, Tomodachi Life
A personality is a mechanic featured in the Tomodachi series that is used to determine how a Mii behaves in the game. The personality of a Mii is determined by a quiz taken in Mii Maker when the character is first created.
Personalities are first featured in Tomodachi Collection, featuring four categories: Calm, Cool, Fun, and Dry, with 4 sub-categories for each. Each personality play a role in interaction with other Miis. The different personalities of each Mii will determine:
- How they act
- Who they get along or do not get along with
- Who they will have a successful relationship with
- Their likes and dislikes on certain items (such as clothing and interiors).
A Mii's idle and walking animation depends on what their personality is. For instance, Calm Miis will sway their arms in a straight motion, while Cool Miis will stand in a thinking pose. In addition, a Mii's starting interior and pose are affected by what personality they are.
For more details see the personality chart.
Personalities are featured once again in Tomodachi Life, functioning the same way as its predecessor with little to no changes. The only major difference is all of the personalities are renamed in this game, such as Calm being renamed to Easygoing.
However, there are other things added to this game that are also determined by personality, such as the interior design and roof color of a married couple's house. Additionally, when a baby is born, the color of their clothes is determined on the personality they are given, as well as the color of the starting clothes they gain after they grow up.
For more details see the personality chart.
Also known as "Energetic" in other countries.
- Outgoing Trendsetter (known as Charmer in the EU version)
- Outgoing Entertainer (known as Adventurer in the EU version)
- Outgoing Charmer (known as Buddy in the EU version)
- Outgoing Leader (known as Extrovert in the EU version)
- Easygoing Softie
- Easygoing Optimist
- Easygoing Buddy (known as Carer in the EU version)
- Easygoing Dreamer
- Confident Designer (known as Confident Busy-Bee in the EU version)
- Confident Adventurer (known as Confident Leader in the EU version)
- Confident Brainiac (known as Confident Free-spirit in the EU version)
- Confident Go-Getter
Also known as "Reserved" in other countries.
- Independent Free Spirit (known as Do-Gooder in the EU version)
- Independent Artist (known as Perfectionist in the EU version)
- Independent Lone Wolf (known as Introvert in the EU version)
- Independent Thinker
- The personalities are based on the 16 personality types of the Myers-Briggs personality test and ancient greek four temperaments test.
- In Tomodachi Life, a Mii's pose and walking animation depends on what their personality is:
- Easygoing Miis will shake their head and move their arms; in the Western versions, their elbows are bent back a little.
- Outgoing Miis have a straight standing pose. Outgoing Miis will also slightly move their body when they walk.
- Confident pose looks exactly the same as Outgoing Miis except the body movement when walking (they slouch a little).
- Independent Miis will stand in thinking pose.
- Also in Tomodachi Life, a Mii who invites over another Mii to become friends with them will wait for the Mii to come to their room depending on their personality.
- Outgoing Miis will skip in circles, and run to the door when a Mii knocks. Upon opening the door, they will wave very enthusiastically, causing the Mii knocking to be surprised.
- Easygoing Miis will sway their arms while waiting for a Mii. When the Mii knocks, they will answer the door. The knocking Mii will wave at them, and the Mii answering the door will jump up enthusiastically.
- Confident Miis will wait by the door and answer immediately after a Mii knocks, causing the Mii to be surprised. The Mii answering will wave and welcome them inside. In the Japanese version, the Confident Mii will stand up straight before the door opens and bow to the visiting Mii.
- Independent Miis will be in their thinking pose while waiting for a Mii. When the Mii knocks, they will walk over to the door and answer it. The answering Mii will then welcome the Mii inside.
- In Life, the Mii's reaction after calling them back to their apartment is different based off personality.
- Easygoing Miis will swing their arms back and forth in a continuous motion.
- Outgoing Miis will continously run in place.
- Confident Miis wave at the player.
- Independent Miis also wave at the player, but not as wide. They also nod while waving. In the Japanese version, they will bow to them.
- The animation of a Mii in Tomodachi Life can change depending on their mood and personality.
- If happy, Easygoing Miis will swing their arms back and forth while Outgoing Miis will swing back and forth with their arms on their chest.
- If angry over a fight, Outgoing Miis will stomp and pound their fists. Confident Miis will cross their arms and stomp their feet.
- When sad, Outgoing and Confident Miis will slouch forward, while Easygoing Miis will have a worried thinking pose. In the Japanese version, Easygoing Miis instead make a gesture appearing as though they are crying.
- If worried, Easygoing and Outgoing Miis will have a worried thinking pose, in the Japanese version they'll make a pose that almost looks like they're crying. Confident Miis act like Independent Miis (they're thinking).
- Independent Miis are always in a thinking pose, no matter what their mood is.
- In Life, a Mii’s personality type determines the type of toy a traveler plays with in their tent:
- Easygoing: Journal
- Outgoing: Book
- Independent: Camera
- Confident: Teddy bear
- In Tomodachi Life, if you tap a Mii's head and stare at it for a long time (while the Mii's not making funny faces), the Mii's animation while blushing is slightly different:
- Easygoing Miis put their hands together on the chest
- Outgoing Miis put both hands on their cheeks seperated. In the Japanese version, the Outgoing Mii puts both hands on their cheeks and shake their heads left to right.
- Independent and Confident Miis stay in their current pose.
- If a love confession is accepted in Western versions, the Mii's happy animation is different depending on their personality:
- Easygoing Miis will pump their fists.
- Outgoing Miis will twirl happily, or dance in their seat if it’s the cafe.
- Independent Miis will put their hands on their cheeks.
- Confident Miis will spread their arms wide.
- Following a successful proposal in Western versions, the Mii's happy animation is different based on their personality:
- Easygoing Miis will do a happy dance.
- Outgoing Miis will jump up and down, or just pound their fists at the amusement park or restaurant.
- Independent Miis will have their hands to their face.
- Confident Miis will give a happy shrug.
- In Japanese version only, the Miis don't perform a pose when their personality is revealed.