A personality is a mechanic featured in the Tomodachi series that is used to determine how a Mii behaves in the game. The personality of a Mii is determined by a quiz taken in Mii Maker when the character is first created.
Personalities are first featured in Tomodachi Collection, featuring four categories: Calm, Cool, Fun, and Dry, with 4 sub-categories for each. Each personality plays a role in interaction with other Miis. The different personalities of each Mii will determine:
- How they act
- Who they get along or don't get along with
- Who they will have a successful relationship with
- Their likes and dislikes on certain items (such as clothing and interiors).
A Mii's idle and walking animation depends on what their personality is. For instance, Calm Miis will sway their arms in a straight motion, while Cool Miis will stand in a thinking pose. In addition, a Mii's starting interior and pose are affected by what personality they are.
For more details see the personality chart.
Personalities are featured once again in Tomodachi Life, functioning the same way as its predecessor with little to no changes. The only major difference is all of the personalities are renamed in this game, such as Calm being renamed to Easygoing.
However, there are other things added to this game that are also determined by personality, such as the interior design and roof color of a married couple's house. Additionally, when a baby is born, the color of their clothes is determined on the personality they are given, as well as the color of the starting clothes they gain after they grow up.
For more details see the personality chart.
- The personalities are based on the 16 personality types of the Myers-Briggs personality test and ancient Greek four temperaments test.
- When comparing Tomodachi Life personality types to the Greek Four Temperaments, Easygoing and Outgoing (Energetic) types mostly match the Sanguine temperament, Reserved Types match the Melancholic temperament and Confident types are most like the Choleric temperament. Easygoing types also match the Phlegmatic temperament to some extent, as they are said to be relaxed and laid-back.
- In Tomodachi Life, a Mii's pose and walking animation depends on their personality:
- Easygoing Miis will shake their head and move their arms; in the Western versions, their elbows are bent back a little.
- Outgoing Miis have a straight standing pose, and will also slightly move their body when walking.
- Confident pose looks exactly the same as Outgoing Miis except the body movement when walking (they slouch a little).
- Independent Miis will stand in thinking pose. They walk like Outgoing Miis but with less arm swinging.
- Also in Tomodachi Life, a Mii who invites over another Mii to become friends while waiting for the Mii to come to their room depends on the former's personality.
- Outgoing Miis will skip in circles, and run to the door when a Mii knocks. Upon opening the door, they will wave very enthusiastically, causing the Mii knocking to be surprised.
- Easygoing Miis will sway their arms while waiting for a Mii. When the Mii knocks, they will answer the door. The knocking Mii will wave at them, and the Mii answering the door will jump up enthusiastically.
- Confident Miis will wait by the door and answer immediately after a Mii knocks, causing the Mii to be surprised. The Mii answering will wave and welcome them inside. In the Japanese version, the Confident Mii will stand up straight before the door opens and bow to the visiting Mii.
- Independent Miis will stay in their thinking pose while waiting for a Mii. When the Mii knocks, they will walk over to the door and answer it. The answering Mii will then welcome the Mii inside.
- In Life, the Mii's reaction after calling them back to their apartment is different based off personality.
- Easygoing Miis will swing their arms back and forth in a continuous motion.
- Outgoing Miis will continously run in place.
- Confident Miis wave at the screen.
- Independent Miis also wave at the screen, but not as wide. They also nod while waving. In the Japanese version, they will bow.
- The animation of a Mii in Tomodachi Life can change depending on their mood and personality.
- When happy, Easygoing Miis will swing their arms back and forth, while Outgoing Miis will swing back and forth with their arms on their chest, and move their arms in a jogging-like motion when moving around in the apartment.
- When having a happy expression, Easygoing Miis will act Outgoing for their standing pose, vice-versa.
- When angry over a fight, Outgoing Miis will stomp and pound their fists and place their hands on their hips when moving around in their apartment. Confident Miis will cross their arms and tap their right foot irritatedly.
- When sad, Outgoing and Confident Miis will slouch forward, while Easygoing Miis will have a worried thinking pose. In the Japanese version, Easygoing Miis instead make a gesture appearing as though they are crying.
- When worried, Easygoing and Outgoing Miis will have a worried thinking pose. In the Japanese version, the Miis will make a pose that almost looks like they are crying. Confident Miis act like Independent Miis.
- Independent Miis are always in a thinking pose, no matter what their mood is.
- In Life, a Mii's personality type determines the type of toy a traveler plays with in their tent:
- Easygoing: Journal
- Outgoing: Book
- Independent: Camera
- Confident: Teddy bear
- In Tomodachi Life, if the person stares at the Mii for a long time (when not making funny faces), the Mii's animation while blushing is slightly different.
- Easygoing Miis put both of their hands on the chest.
- Outgoing Miis put both hands on their cheeks seperated. In the Japanese version, the Outgoing Miis put both hands on their cheeks and shake their heads left to right.
- Independent Miis will revert to their thinking pose.
- Confident Miis stay in their current pose.
- If a love confession is accepted in Western versions, the Mii's happy animation is different depending on their personality.
- Easygoing Miis will pump their fists.
- Outgoing Miis will twirl happily, or dance in the seat if it takes place at the cafe.
- Independent Miis will put their hands on cheeks.
- Confident Miis will spread their arms wide.
- Following a successful proposal in Western versions, the Mii's happy animation is also based on their personality.
- Easygoing Miis will do a happy dance.
- Outgoing Miis will jump up and down, or just pump their fists at the amusement park or restaurant.
- Independent Miis will have their hands to their face.
- Confident Miis will give a happy shrug.
- In Japanese version only, the Miis do not perform a pose when their personality is revealed.